SIGN OF THE TIMES : Buhay Alamang; Part I
By: Danny S. Villanueva
Bringing up a family in RP is both fun and a challenge considering the struggling economy of the country. Here are some family snapshots illustrating the situation:
Every Sunday when visiting our daughters in Quezon City, the whole family sometimes would have the opportunity to dine out, but not to expensive eateries. "Do not worry, Pa," Sabrie quipped. " The golden rule when reading the menu in a restaurant is - if you cannot pronounce it, you cannot afford it." #
Cathy explaining the price tags on food in a restaurant. "This is good for you, Pa. It's a revolutionary new diet plan. It ruins your appetite." #
Upon leaving Fridays, they heard me quipped, "You could not have more of it, and still you cannot live without it." Bing lovingly reacted, "Yes, I know that the cold draft beer here is just that good. But you cannot have more than a mug full, Pa. Remember, you are still driving back to Tarlac." Sabrie snarled, " Who told you that your father is thinking of the beer, he's talking about his credit cards." #
Sabrie and I saw to it that the girls would have a real working kitchen at their small home in QC. She taught them how to cook by themselves instead of eating out or having home delivery from nearby K of C, Greenwich or Big Mac. One night, supper consisted of leftovers and Eloy offered this grace: "Bless this food and the hands that repaired it. Amen."#
Ten-ten bargaining for allowance increase, sobbing to me, "You don't love us anymore, Pa. When you see us lonely, you don't ask why." Sabrie blurted out, "Hoy bata ka, tumigil ka nga diyan. Huwag mo ngang artihan yang Papa mo. The last time he asked that question it cost him so much money." #
"I heard you right, Pa, that money isn't everything- but also remember to make a lot of it before talking such fool none sense." Bombing retorted.#
Sabrie was so concerned on the rising monthly telephone bills. "Ate Ten, you should run for congress, You are very good at introducing new bills in the house," cracked Eloy.#
Just arrived from his class, Mark declared, "I just learned that people can be divided into 2 classes - the 'Haves' and the 'Have Nots'. " Sabrie responded, " Not only 2, Mark. There's this 3rd category in this country: the 'Have-Not-paid-For-What-They-Haves'." #
Sabrie and I were planning a budget. I declared, "Let's start with the basic necessities- food, clothing, education and shelter." Sabrie agreed, "Yes, but by the looks of it, we have only a choice of any three." #
Sa wakas, I taught my children the value of a peso. Now they want their weekly allowance in US dollars. Naku po, naloko na. # DSV

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home