Tuesday, June 13, 2006

REMINISCING… Part II: KUYA NOLI … HAJI …. SMOKED SALMON, ….atba.

By: Danny S. Villanueva

As a loving tribute to our dear Kuya Noli on birthday this August 22, I'd like to recall and print memorable events that continue to hang beautifully in my mind before they become totally obscure in time:

· (Flashback: Very early 70's) Kuya Noli's job as a young accountant working as an external auditor with Carlos J. Valdez, CPA, allowed him to go to remotest places in Mindanao particularly in those companies indulging in forestry and wood products. I could recall some of the places he went to like Santa Clara, Kulambugan and Davao. Upon arrival from such assignment, we would listen to him with excitement about the thrills of his adventures in those places- log cabins in the forests, the Muslim people, etc.

In Davao, he would see Kuya Rey and Ate Gonyang every now and then. Kuya Rey would allow him to drive their family car- Taurus sedan, around Davao. I remember that one of Kuya Rey's son was
given by Kuya a Muslim moniker- Haji. In his travels in those places in the south, he would bring home beautiful hand made gongs, urns/jars and wall decors made of brass. At home, on weekend, Kuya would clean and shine very well these brass items until they would glitter like gold. I think Kuya used "sukang maasim" (vinegar) to clean them. Those brass decors made the sala of the bahay interesting and radiantly beautiful in my eyes.

· (Flashback: Early 70's) Then there was this period when Kuya, as an external auditor, covered the strip joints along Roxas Boulevard (Dewey Blvd. then): clubs and cocktail lounges with casinos. He would bring Nanay and Tatay and some members of the family to play in the casinos (saling cats lang… pamparami nang naglalaro). They would talk about this experience joyfully: the food fare, wines (Cold Duck, Dry Martini, etc.) and the box of cigarettes Tatay and Nanay loved most-Salem to bring home.

When I was a young project Engineer at PIECO, Pasong Tamo Ext., Makati, Kuya Noli would sometimes pick me up before lunch at the office and bring me to the casino-club for lunch. What a wonderful break from the office. Boy, I was always eager and thrilled to go with him to this kind of places because I would have a big steak for lunch with a glass of wine on the side. By 2 pm, I would be back in the office with a "pabitbit pa-" a box of Salem cigarette to share some with my friends in the office and yung iba para kay Tatay at Nanay. That time, "blue seal" cigarettes were something to brag about among friends. I smoked almost all kinds of cigarettes that time (pati Layebana ni Manang), but not that much. Ganuun din si Kuya. That time, we smelled delicious (not delirious), like …. smoked salmon from Salem USA, …. pag napa sobra…. amoy tinapang binili sa…. talipapa.

· (Flashback: Late 70's) When Kuya Noli was working with Packaging Products Phils., an affiliate of Rustans, as the manager for credit and collection department, he would every now and then invite me and Nelson Ocampo (a friend from Herdis group, who I met in the airforce annual active duty training; now staying in the East Coast) to join him for the weekly drinking spree with his group of collectors. Pag naka target sila sa collection, the more compulsion to celebrate together, sabi nga. To come prepared and before Nelson and I see them, we passed by Nichols (Villamor now) Air Base to pick up several bottles of liquors at the commissary. Kuya would let us know where to meet (one time sa Sucat near their office), and together we'd go to the appointed "kainan" venue.

He's the friendly Boss among his peers and he would always make way for me and Nelson to be at ease with his group. He was loved by his co-employees and subordinates. NO, we did not go home lashiinnnggg…..kunti laahhnnggg… isah paahh gani… hic(kory duck)…actually, sa dami ng pulutan, bundat ako sa busog. I was driving then a blazing, sporty, tangerine company car- Isuzu Gemini (with cockpit lights, kuno) and I would drop Nelson at his home along Dimasalang (gumugulong siyang bumaba sa taba niya). Kuya was driving then the elegant green Toyota Crown (bought from Tiyo Publing). Kung may Karaoke nuon, pihadong kantahan pa (hindi pa makakanta ni Kuya yung My way, kasi hindi pa na-cocompose ni Paul Anka at that time). Ang passes ko sa bahay pag-uwi, "kasama ko si Kuya." Buti na lang, malakas si Sabrie kay Kuya Noli and vice versa (hehehe).

Ooooopsss! Oh my, the worn out and out moded memory chips in my coconut just bogged down anew. Give me time, in due time ( sa Visaya… in dyutay lagi…) I'll be able to download more tidbits to share with you. Happy birthday, Kuya Noli!!!

Thank you Lord for having a loving Kuya Noli in our life. Please keep Kuya and his family always in your embrace, good Lord. Amen. # DSV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home