San Jose's LPGA: Lady Pearl Golfing Away!
By: Danny S. Villanueva
Last week, while Dorothy Delasin, a full-blooded Filipina teen-ager was campaigning for her first LPGA victory at the Giant Eagle LPGA Classic in Howland, Ohio, that she eventually won (she also won the US Women's Amateur golf championship last year), there's my sister Pearl Queen, another full-blooded Filipina beauty from San Jose City, Ca. honing her skills in golf. Kung dedelasdelasin ni Pearl ang pag-gogolf, baka ma-attain niya ang kahusayan ni Dorothy.
Pearl Queen says: I made "56" on 9 holes at Rancho del Pueblo. But no "daya" - no repeats. It is the old Thunderbird that has been renovated. It's now owned by the city of San Jose but ran by another group. It has driving range, putting green and 9 holes. We teed off early - 7:30am - no practice. We finished before 10AM and then practiced putting with commentary from Tonino (quite distracting) - then off to lunch at a Malaysian/Thai restaurant ("Banana Leaves").
Dan Villa says: Wow! Congratulations! Did Tonino play, too?
Pearl Queen says: Yes he did - but a little different playing with our friends Rudy and Flor. When they're not happy with their strokes, they repeat - and once or twice they encouraged Tonino to do the same. He obliged with one repeated stroke and if that was still bad, he took it.
Dan Villa says: That's OK, for friendly games. We do that here, too, as long we don't keep scores. What's the use, anyway.
Pearl Queen says: I think I was the only one who kept score (mine). Hahahaha! I hit straight balls most of the time - but my putting was a bit strong. I have to practice and improve my putting. I also had to get out of 2 sand traps - but I was fortunate that I got out with one stroke each time. Tonino tried playing a good game but he was distracted trying to guide/coach Flor.
Dan Villa says: Straight balls are good. Men's problem is the unintended slice. Is the golf course far from your home?
Pearl Queen says: About 15 minutes. Imade only 3 odd shots - one duck pond and 2 sand traps. While Flor's ball was landing behind the fat poste, behind the gardener's service cart, etc - funny. Gumigilid ang bola ni flor - 'cause she holds the driver like a baseball bat. Kaliwete pa siya. She wears gloves on both hands.
Dan Villa says: Do you have to have caddy with you?
Pearl Queen says: We started early. No need for caddy - no one around anyway. Hindi uso ang caddy dito - only on tournaments. But Flor and I had to rent the rolling golf bag cart so we could drag our golf bags around. There's no electric golf cart to play with. Hahaha.
Pearl Queen says: Then ang bigat nung golf bag ko. I tried to carry it at first - hindi ko kaya - later I found out - Tonino added some pieces to seemingly complete the set (but different brand) kaya pala mabigat. I told him to remove the extra pieces because male length naman yon - hindi ko rin magagamit. Tonino did not use a rolling cart - but his bag was of light material.
Dan Villa says: We use caddies to look for the lost balls. Hahaha!
Pearl Queen says: I lost only one ball - went to the water and too far to sungkit with my iron - so I took the penalty and hit a new ball from the side of the duck pond.
#DSV

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home