Thoughts on turning 60
By Danny S. Villanueva
In March 2009, I just entered my seventh decade with a big glowing sign: Welcome to the Senior Citizens Club! Wow! Time really gave me a whirlwind experience, taking me from the hectic days of middle age to the growing body pains of senior citizen in no time. But what is in store for me now? What comes to my mind as senior citizen and retiree are of numerous rewards that I look forward to having- the SSS pension and the 20% discounts on my personal purchases. Big deal as these rewards would help me go about my needs for medicines for my heart, BP and diabetes regular maintenance. Is this the cost of getting old?
At that moment I came close to 60; it was like coming ashore to a beautiful, quiet tropical vacation island without the usual noise and tensions of high urban living. Not long ago, I was thought of by many as cool, astute corporate professional. Would the world now see me as a quiet home body, a handy man, a baby sitter (to my grandchild), an early morning walker and a Sudoku puzzle lover? Long ago, I accepted the fact that I was irrelevant to a selling job, as selling was not my cup of tea, but corporate work. But it is surprising to realize later that my habits and work dealt more with moulding and selling ideas to people. Now I am watched closely by friends and former associates whether the same tact and habits I would exhibit up to this time. Long time habits and techniques are not really easy to lose. I still have them now but the skill has mellowed with my approaches to life.
Back then when I was 40, my spiritual life has grown from a ground level, along with new discoveries about my physical conditions as a result of aging and lifestyle. Family life was more demanding as Sabrie and I had to ensure that all our children would be able to finish their college education and find appropriate jobs consequently. Our Lord God is so good as He continually blessed our perseverance and hard work fruitfully. Our long involvement in a Catholic community helped so much in our pursuit to further grow spiritually and prepare our selves to the new trials and challenges of getting old.
Now that I am 60 and there is more free time for me, just like when I was a young kid, everything and every one was within a bike ride then, now with Sabrie as my alternate car driver we can still reach places and people. Health wise, we have become more conscious about our physical and emotional condition and needs. Sabrie is not getting any younger, too. Our lifestyle has become more meaningful and easy, with our grown up children supplying us the needed love, care and financial support. Sports remain as one joy in life as I missed the basketball, tennis and golf games I used to play with friends; but I enjoy the same now on TV with sweat to spare.
Being 60 is like spending a long summer vacation in this beautiful tropical island, with so much total freedom and endless possibilities. You know, getting old is like getting young again. So, am I really getting old? Thank you Lord Jesus for this wonderful life with you. #

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home