Life in Sumitomo: O-na-ka ga su-ki-ma-shi-ta (Tom-gu na si a-ko, ne.)
By: DSV
Kon-ni-chi-wa (hello). You know, I have been working with a Sumitomo company here in Tarlac since 1991. Firstly, I was hired as a plant manager of International Wiring Systems Phils. (IWSP) wire and cable division from 1991-1996. 1n 1996, my said division was later spinned off and expanded as a separate company, called International Electric Wires Phils. Corp. (IEWP) where I serve as the AVP for manufacturing up to this time. Both companies are connected with Sumitomo Electric Inustries, Ltd. of Japan. This is a real paradigm shift for me as a professional, from my solid 19 years life with an American firm, GE, to Nippon's kaisen, soba and yakiniku. Let me share with you some experiences. Dou-zo (please) ….
In one excom meeting, Alice De Vera, the Filipino president of IWSP, mockingly commented about the increase hiring of employees, "Oh my, we are really growing like rabbits over here!" After the meeting, Nishida san, EVP, approached me and whispered discreetly, "Danny san, Alice san was very angry ne. She called us rabbits!" #DSV
Muto san was so excited to show me a new wire product catalogue prepared by his group in Japan that was written in English. There were no misspellings or errors in usage. But at the bottom of the back cover were the 3 words: "Plinted in English." #DSV
I asked Yamashita san, EVP of IEWP who just arrived from visiting his son in the hospital in Osaka. "Oh, he is improving," he quickly replied, "but he is still in the expensive-care unit." #DSV
I felt I have the language licked. One day while discussing a technical problem with Nishiyama san, I remarked, "It looks like as if we are thinking along parallel lines." He slowly nodded in agreement. I was surprised one week later, when the same problem surfaced again. "Didn't we agree we are thinking along parallel lines? I asked. The Japanese looked puzzled. "Hai, Danny san," he said, "Parallel lines means we will never meet." #DSV
I met Kawashima san, an ardent golfer from our office at Luisita Golf and Country Club one day. "Playing much golf these days?" I asked. "Not too much," he replied sadly. "Just in the afternoon." #DSV
Yasuno san commented on the attractive girl who took our order when we stopped for lunch in one of the beautiful beach restaurants in Cebu. "All Filipino girls are beautiful, " he said. "Japanese girls are very pretty, too." I said. "Ahh, but not so 3-dimensional as Filipino girls," was his fervent reply. #DSV
Nakai san bought me a 1999 calendar that has a portrait of a beautiful geisha girl with an enigmatic smile. He called her Kimona Lisa san. #DSV

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home