Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Life in Sumitomo: No-do ga ka-wa-ki-ma-shi-ta (De-hins pa ko seng-lot, ne.)

By:DSV

I am able to mix my 19 years of Fil-American GE discipline beautifully with my present job with IEWP, the Japanese Sumitomo firm here in RP. The result: a much more international firm that markets its business globally and more effectively. Kung baga sa eating of humburger sandwich, yung sauce is not the usual tomato catsup anymore but wasabe in kikkoman soy sauce (Ahhhggg.) Let me share my exciting life with you with many Japanese tomadachi (yung mga mahilig tumoma). But first I have to wear the "bayong" on my head (makapili style). Dou-zo…….


One afternoon after a good round of golf at Luisita Golf Club, I joined the boys and Hachiro san, president of IEWP, at the latter's executive house (better known as Hachiro's Bar) for some cold beers and finger foods. He smartly advised us: "If you drink, do not drive. Do not even putt." He's talking from experience. #DSV


While the Filipino staff uses their vacation leaves a day at a time, the Japanese staff use their VL's in one big splurge- a long vacation trip to another country. "Why is that so?" Hachiro san asked me. I explained, "Vacations are time off given to all to take some kind of rest from work. It also reminds them that the company can get along without them." He replied with understanding, "Ah sooo, the Filipino staff would think that the company will stop if they are not around." (Sa totoo lang, Kulang lang sa atik ang mga Noy-pis. They rather convert their unused VLs to cash.) #DSV


"I understand that you are getting along nicely with your English," I said to Nakano san, a Japanese accountant. "How about syntax?" I asked. "Ahhh sooohhh, you tax sins in the Philippines?" He retorted. #DSV


A Filipino staff observes, "Boss Dan, these Japanese are funny, indeed. They ask when they do not know. And sometimes when they do. Why is that?" I replied, "They would like to be sure that we understand them." (Or better, they may not be so sure about themselves. They need also to be reaffirmed like anybody else.) #DSV


One Japanese staff members were talking in the smoking room. "Danny san, so sorry, we cannot stop smoking. We know smoke is very bad to our health," Ikeda san regretfully said. He continued, "We are invertebrate smokers." You mean inveterate, don't you?" I corrected. "No, invertebrate," was his ready reply, "No backbone." Hahahaha! Baka nga. #DSV


I lent my book One-Minute Manger to Ikeda san. "Have you read it?" I asked. "Hai, very good book. It is easy to read and understand, " he said, "I read it 60 times during lunch break." #DSV


Indeed, our Japanese staff members are all golf addicts. We had yakiniku (barbecue) at Sakura restaurant and Hachiro san corrected my grip while I was holding the tongs. #DSV

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home