Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My "Cadillacad Scooter"

By: DSV

Every boy in Bugallon would desire to have a "scooter" of his own. No, not the Lambretta nor Honda type. This toy was home made you know, of wooden parts and no internal combustion engine. It had ball bearings as wheels. One foot on the running board and the other foot to stroke the pavement to run it. Tadyak or pawis-power was it. The front wheel bearing was directly connected to a vertical steering handle. It was easy handling. It was the best toy that time and the basketball court fronting our house served as the Indy 500 circuit.

It was the fad, the craze in the neighborhood. I was 8 years old then. I could see the boys enjoying the ride on this running plank. How I wished to drive one of those. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr went the sound of the bearings. The roar of the ball bearing was music to my ears then. I watched the neighborhood boys - Kiko Ponce, Danny Tuano and others rode and raced their "scooters" with gusto. I could borrow one from them, but I hesitated. Nahihiya ako.

Without a "scooter" of our own, Tatay and Kuya Noli in no time constructed a wooden cariton which had 3 passengers: a driver, a passenger and the person standing at the back who stroke the pavement with a foot or make "tulak" with the hands and other foot on the cariton. Like the "scooter," this cariton ran also on ball bearings. This was the only cariton of its kind in Indy 500. I, Kuya Noli and Dikong Pempe took turn as the "tulak.". Sometimes, Ate Day and Ditseng Pearl rode it, too. Though Ate Day, would show her prowess on roller skates, but this was another story.

One afternoon, Tatay came home very early from work (Northern Motors) with a pasalubong wrapped in thick papers. He excitedly presented it to me. I unwrapped it. Boy, it was a brand new, sleek "scooter!" Unlike the home made "scooter" in the neighborhood, this one was made by Tatay at his motor shop, fully painted with glossy blue (may masilla pa, multi-coat) and with 2 bearings at the back to allow it to stand. Wow! My "Cadillacad scooter."

Our house then was the comfortable native sawali type with a low "silong" (basement) that served as bodega or storage for the rice in drums, and the many "abubot" of Tatay such as tool boxes. Tatay, went to the storage to get a tool to further adjust some parts of my "scooter." Being a tall fellow, his head hit a protruding nail from the house flooring when he stretched up. I saw blood oozed fast from his head. I really felt so sorry* for him. I prayed really hard that it was not that serious. My excitement about the brand new " scooter" faded immediately. I was sort of feeling the blame for Tatay's mishap. Nanay lovingly applied first aid to his head wound. No, Tatay and Nanay were not quick-tempered. They did not show anger or wrath at all that moment. Tatay remained calm, at peace and went back to make adjustment on my "scooter."

Tatay was prudent. He lovingly asked me to try the "scooter" which I did without hesitation. I knew he was happy and proud to see me enjoying it. Thank you, Tatay and Nanay for all the love and understanding. And thank you Lord for the gift of family and for having loving parents. DSV

PS
* I had the same kind of feeling of love, sorry and concern when I accidentally hit Kuya Noli with his airgun during a playful target practice many years later. My Kuya Noli still has this loving remembrance in her chest up to this time. Like Tatay, Kuya was prudent. He never blamed me on this. Thank you, Kuya Noli. DSV

Inspiration:
He who is slow to wrath has great understanding. - Proverbs 14:29
A fool's wrath is known at once. -Proverbs 12:16
He who guards his mouth preserves his life. -Proverbs 13:3 #

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home